Purple Mattress Review
Jake Comfort | Updated: February 2023
Jake Comfort | Updated: February 2023
We have an affiliate relationship with and receive compensation from companies whose products we review on this site. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
People love the latest innovations, and it’s no surprise to find that fascination spilling over to mattresses. Purple Mattress has a new foam and polymer offering that will be appealing to many different consumers. The unique combination of polymer and foam provides good support, temperature regulation, a medium firmness, excellent bounce and contouring, while keeping sinkage to an acceptable range to feel comfortable. On the whole it’s a great choice for many consumers, so read the rest of this review to get the details on the ways the Purple mattress can benefit you.
The Purple Mattress is 9.5” thick, and is constructed from three layers of foam and polymer.
- Top Layer (comfort and cooling) – constructed from 2” of hyper-elastic polymer. It is designed to provide a cool night’s rest while reliving pressure points that can disturb restful sleep. The hyper-elastic polymer is made using Purple’s “smart grid” design, improving the cooling abilities and comfort of the top layer.
- Middle Layer (transitional support) – constructed from 3.5” of polyurethane foam. This layer works in conjunction with the top layer to enhance transitional support and deep compression support.
- Bottom Layer (foundation) – 4” of polyurethane foam. The foundation layer is engineered to be the basis of the mattress’s support.
The Purple Mattress has a cover constructed of a blend of viscose, polyester, and polyester-lyrca, at 27%, 69%, and 4% respectively. These materials combine to form a highly breathable cover. The cover is both stretchy and soft as well as breathable. It reverts to its original position even after tugging on it from different angles, making it a great fit for Purple’s polymer smart grid top layer, as the two layers work together to prevent heat retention.
Firmness, Feel, and Support
One of the most distinguishing things about the Purple Mattress is how it feels. The firmness of the mattress is just a bit more firm than average, making it a solid choice for most people. It’s one of the most intriguing mattresses we’ve seen to this point. The unique feel is created by the combination of materials, which has similar qualities to latex, but are better in every way. It provides excellent support without pressure points, and the top layer performs admirably when it comes to distributing the pressure of your body on the mattress. Stomach and back sleepers both have raved about how well their spines are supported during sleep.
It’s important to remember that mattresses will react differently for people sleeping depending on how much they weigh. Lighter sleepers will feel as though they are hovering on top of the mattress, and will fall into it very little. Sleepers weighing from 130-150 lbs will fall a bit deeper into the mattress. Those weighing more than 150 lbs will experience a body hug of 2-3”. Sleepers above 200 lbs will have more intensive use of the transitional support layer, helping to prevent further sinking to the 2.5-3.5’ range.
The best thing about the Purple Mattress is the way the material reacts to support weight. Heavier body parts will fall further into the mattress and Purple’s signature polymer material and transitional support layer will pick up the slack. As a result pressure points that can disrupt comfortable sleeping and create aches and pains when you wake up get the relief they need for you to feel well-rested in the morning. This is an important consideration for those who have back or joint pain, or people who might have poor circulation or other issues that are aggravated by uncomfortable pressure points, expanding the range of people who stand to benefit from this mattress.
We found that the mattress’s distinctive feel was rather enjoyable. The hyper-elastic polymer has a unique ability to displace weight while maintaining consistent support in a way that wow’d us. Because the mattress material responds similar to latex there’s no direct impression created by your body, and the rounded counters prevent you from feeling stuck or sunk in to the mattress. Moreover, their unique combination of materials means that the mattress is quick to respond to your body when you change positions while sleeping. This change occurs quicker than latex, and is a solid point in Purple’s favor.
One Cool Mattress
When it comes to mattresses, almost no one wants their body heat to be trapped and radiated back at them. That’s where the Purple mattress has another advantage. Its unique air pockets, formed by the webbed polymer smart grid, do an excellent job at keeping the sleeping surface cool. The thin cover that comes on the mattress also aids in this effort, making it one of the coolest sleeping mattresses on the market today.
The polymer material that the Purple Mattress is constructed from has a level of bounce very similar to the level of bounce exhibited by latex. At the same time, the mattress does a great job of preventing motion transfer, helping out with bedtime fun as well as allowing you and your partner to sleep without being disturbed by each other’s movements. The grid pattern supporting the transitional and top layers do a great job of limiting how far the motion you create can travel. As a result, this is a great choice for light sleepers who are frequently disturbed by their partner’s movement.
Sinkage tests are an important metric for evaluating mattresses, as they can tell you a lot about how the mattress will hold up over time and how comfortable it will be to sleep on for the long haul. The results we found for the Purple Mattress were:
- Lying on back – With weight evenly distributed, 2’ of sinkage
- Lying on side — We saw 2.5” of sinking for side sleepers.
- Conservative edge sitting – 3” of sinkage when not putting your full weight on the edge of the bed.
- Aggressive edge sitting – 4” of sinkage was encountered when sitting directly on the mattress.
- Standing in middle – Standing in the middle of the mattress produced 5” of sinkage.
It’s important to keep in mind that sinkage will depend on how much weight is involved. The measurements above were obtained with a person weighing around 140 lbs. Sleepers weighing 150-200lbs will likely experience another .25-.5” of sinking, while those over 200 lbs will probably see an additional .5-1” of additional sinkage.
- Shipping– Free, compressed in a box
- Warranty– 10 years
- Trial Period– 100 nights
- Made in the USA
- Weight– Queen size mattress weighs 110 pounds
Who Should Buy the Purple Mattress?
The Purple Mattress is best for the following types of people:
- Looking for a medium firm mattress – The purple mattress is close to the middle of the firmness scale, slightly more firm than average. The more you weigh the more you can expect to be hugged by the hyper-elastic polymer for more pressure relief.
- Cool Cats – those looking for a cooler sleeping experience will enjoy Purple’s various contributions to that goal. The grid system and air pockets are designed to cool the surface, and the mattress’s thin cover lets it breath easier than some other mattresses.
- Well rounded contours – because of its unique materials, the Purple mattress displaces your body weight with a rounded contour, similar to latex, but with a faster responsiveness to movement and bounce.
- Bounce and Sex – The high level of bounce a Purple Mattress exhibits is great for returning the mattress to its original shape when pressure is applied. This, combined with the balanced sinkage, better edge support, and instant response abilities, make the Purple a great mattress for sex.
- Minimal Motion – Despite the large bounce this mattress has, there’s almost no motion transfer due to the polymer material and grid design which keeps energy from motion near its source rather than allowing it to spread across the mattress and disturb you or your partner’s rest.
In conclusion, the Purple Mattress is one of the most distinctive mattresses we’ve looked at so far. It sports a combination of unique materials, hyper-elastic polymer and a dual layer of polyurethane foam, which join forces to create a feel unlike anything else on the market today. The mattress affords an excellent level of support, comfort, bounce, and cooling abilities. Moreover, the unique grid pattern does a great job at limiting motion transfer and providing the right amount of firmness and support without feeling too stiff or rigid. However, it’s important to keep in mind that mattresses feel differently to different people based on things like their weight, body shape, and weight distribution, so you may want to try one out before you go all in on it. That being said, we found the Purple to be a unique innovation in mattress design and construction, and one that provides a quality night’s sleep.